When you encounter a Failed to start ASR error on a server via Logs & Alerts, like below, you will be able to troubleshoot the issue when you click on view details on the right-hand side.
When you click on the magnifying glass, you will get a popup that will start with <type 'exceptions.Exception'>: PreEventException(Deploy): that will include a message like the following screenshot:
We have categorized the types of issues you may encounter below. Notes: Some of the issues have solutions built-into the error message.
Machine is Pending Reboot (solution in-line)
- Deployment of ASR agent stopped due to "Machine is pending reboot". Please reboot the server manually or set "TRUE" in Reboot machine parameter. Redeploy the agent
- Deployment of ASR agent stopped due to "Machine is pending reboot". Reboot started, re-deploy agent after reboot.
- Rebooting machine after upgrade failed with error [Exit-Code], [Error-Message]. Restart the machine manually.
- Restarting in [Number-Of-Seconds] seconds. Reinstall agent after reboot
- Please reboot manually or set 'TRUE' in Reboot machine parameter.
Connection to the backend server failed
Error: Connection to [csEndpoint] failed: Invalid configuration server IP or connection passphrase provided.
How to fix:
ASR management service configuration validation:
- Validate the "CS Endpoint" field in the ASR management service is correct:
- In JetPatch, go to "ASR" Management Services and choose the deployed service. Make sure the "CS Endpoint" IP provided is the same as the ASR Configuration Server.
- To check the ASR configuration server IP - Connect to the configuration server and check it's IP using "ipconfig" (for Windows) or "ifconfig" (for Linux)
- Create a new ASR management service to validate "passphrase" - Due to security reasons, you won't be able to check the entered passphrase. Please create a new Management Service or edit the existing one and try to deploy it. For more information Management Services please check Creating and Editing an Agent Management Service
- Firewall - Check all firewall rules between the source machine to the configuration server are valid and allowing the endpoint to communicate with the ASR configuration server.
- For more troubleshooting steps please check Microsoft Troubleshoot configuration server issues - Registration failures
Note - If you are using Anti-Virus, please check that all ASR directories are excluded from the antivirus software.
Dependencies are missing (solution in-line)
Error: Deployment of ASR agent was not started following to missing requirements by vendor. Please install .Net framework 3.5 or above and restart the deployment.
Installation instruction by OS:
- Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016 : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/install/on-windows-10
- Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/install/on-windows-8-1
- Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/install/on-windows-8
- Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/install/on-windows-7
- Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/install/on-windows-vista
Native agent exists on endpoint server (solution in-line)
- Deployment of ASR agent failed due to an existing native agent. Please remove the existing native agent manually and reboot the server (as requested by the vendor) before starting the deployment of Intigua ASR agent. The native agent could be removed automatically by Intigua using \"True\" for field \"Remove native agent if it's installed\" in the agent package configuration. Please note that it still required a reboot for the endpoint server as requested by the vendor.
- Deployment of ASR agent failed due to Native Agent exist. Intigua could not remove the native agent - please remove it manually, reboot the server and redeploy the agent.
ASR native agent version is invalid (solution in-line)
JetPatch ASR agent has the ability to upgrade the existing ASR agent. The following erros may be related to update the existing native ASR agent and deploy the JetPatch ASR agent:
- Upgrade operation failed since the existing version on the server is newer or the same version that should be managed by Intigua. Agent will be upgraded only when the existing version is older than the version that should be managed by Intigua.
- Please upgrade ASR to a version between [ASR-Version] and [ASR-Version] first and then reboot or reinstall agent.
Invalid ASR files and registry
The following error may occur by missing files or registry.
- Deployment of ASR agent failed. Could not extract current ASR version from [ASR-File]. [Error-Message].
- Deployment of ASR agent failed. driver utility missing [ASR-File].
- Deployment of ASR agent failed. Could not extract ASR version from driver utility [ASR-File]. [Error-Message].
- Deployment of ASR agent failed. Could not extract current ASR version from registry [Registry-Key] [Error-Message].
- Deployment of ASR agent failed. Could not extract new ASR version from [ASR-File]. [Error-Message]
How to fix - Reboot the machine and redeploy the ASR agent using JetPatch. If you are still encountering the same problem - please try to deploy the native ASR agent manually (not using JetPatch) and troubleshoot the installation using Troubleshoot configuration server issues - Registration failures
If the problem didn't resolve, please contact JetPatch support email@example.com. When you contact JetPatch support, please provide connector logs.
Invalid user input (solution in-line)
Issues that are related to the ASR management service configuration. Edit this management service with the changes, save and try to re-deploy.
- Operation failed due to invalid parameter in field "Subnet Ranges". please provide subnet ranges with three octets
- Could not get any local IPv4. Please check machine networker configuration
- Operation failed due to an invalid IP address that is in the provided IP ranges. When "Use Configured IP Address = 1" server must contain only one IP address from one of the provided IP ranges
- Operation failed due to multiple IP addresses that are in the provided IP ranges. When "Use Configured IP Address = 1" server must contain only one IP address from one of the provided IP ranges
Unsupported OS (Linux only)
This version of mobility service doesn't support the operating system kernel version [OS-Version] running on the source machine. Please refer the list of operating systems supported by Azure Site Recovery: https://aka.ms/asr-os-support
If your problem is not listed above, please check the Troubleshoot configuration server issues for possible solutions.
To contact JetPatch support please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please sign in to leave a comment.