The attached PowerShell script (see below) installs and configures WSUS and IIS on a Windows 2012 server or later with the necessary configuration. If you prefer to do this manually, please see this article.
- Windows Server 2012+ with recommended sizing.
- PowerShell 4.0+ installed with PowerShell execution policy enabled
- Run as administrator in PowerShell ISE.
- Internet connectivity (minimum requirement: these Microsoft URLs)
The script will do an initial configuration of WSUS including
- Set sync from Microsoft Update
- Set updates language to English
- Set the WSUS Products to Sync (edit in the script if required)
- Set the WSUS Categories to Sync (edit in the script if required)
- Enable scheduled WSUS sync
- Disable IPV6
- You have the option to use WID, Local SQL Express(10GB DB limited), or an existing SQL Server. If you choose Local SQL Express it will be downloaded and installed for you with a default configuration. BY DEFAULT: -WID is selected.
- Additional variables can be configured in the script itself
- Windows OS Media may be needed if WS is unable to find .Net Framework 3.5 online.
- Report Viewer 2012 is also optionally installed, it is required to view WSUS reports.
BY DEFAULT: True
- If a WSUS replica is involved, see this article.